Gun Safety Can Save Lives
Smart guns are one part of a multi-faceted approach to addressing the gun violence epidemic. Personalized firearm technologies can help prevent accidental shootings, suicides, and gun violence committed with stolen guns.
- Nearly 20,000 people are killed or injured each year in unintentional shootings and teen suicides, many of which could be prevented with smart guns.
- Approximately 7 children and teens are killed every day by unintentional shootings and teen suicides.
- 570 children under 11 injured or killed in accidental shootings in 2015 alone.
Every year there are over 100,000 gun-related injuries including more than 20,000 suicides. Consider these facts:
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for ages 10-24.
- More people use a firearm (52%) than every other method combined.
- Nearly 1.7 million children live in a home with an unlocked and loaded gun.
- 82% of teens who commit suicide use a family member’s gun
- About 85% of attempts with a firearm are fatal, compared to prescription drug overdose which is 12% fatal
Smart guns and stolen guns
- 250,000+ guns are stolen each year, 80% are never recovered. Smart guns could render those firearms unusable.
- Less than 20% of guns stolen from law enforcement are ever recovered.